About....

A simple blog that gives my opinion from the world of football, and in particular - the overlooked world of goalkeeping! Writer for Goalkeeper Magazine (www.goalkeepermagazine.com).

All comments are welcomed, and are to be encouraged!! Enjoy!

Please follow KeeperTalk on Twitter - @keepertalk1

Wednesday 19 January 2011

Don't get your hopes up Arsenal Fans, Szczesny is not the answer!!

As an Goalkeeper enthusiast, even I have looked at the Arsenal number 53. Wojciech Szczesny (which is a nightmare to type) and thought "this guy has it all". Which I still stand by to an extent. This is in despite of my complete irrational hatred towards Arsenal Football Club, and every single player that has ever worn their shirt. But this is another story for another time. It is without doubt that Szczesny has all the physical attributes to succeed in replacing the great David Seaman.


However, this will not be the case. This post may well come back to haunt me if Szczesny becomes one of the worlds great keepers, but I am 150% sure that he will not. Why? With the risk of sounding racist or against a certain nation, because he is Polish!
I challenge anybody who reads this post to name me a goalkeeper who has owned his clubs number 1 shirt, flourished with it, and been one of those 'world class' goalkeepers in which mistakes are a rarity! Those who play football will know what I mean when I say that I am looking for a 'centre half's goalkeeper'! As opposed to the Jekyll and Hyde Poles.
I have complete confidence in the fact that Szczesny will follow the likes of Boruc, Kuszczak (yes, I am aware that he did do one of the greatest saves of all time), Fabianski, Zaluska and the old relic Miklosko. All of which are a defenders nightmare, and above all a goalkeeping liability. Examples of  this hot and cold nature can be seen below.

        


These are examples of exactly why Szczesny can not be expected to fill Sir David Seaman's gloves, and will before long just be a steady bench-warmer! All comments welcome, I appreciate that this is a controversial perspective, but bear in mind that whatever you comment - i will most probably still be right!!

No comments:

Post a Comment